I want to share some reflections why I don´t like "practice as research" for what artists and somatic workers are doing.
the time aspect:
* the artist is doing forward search
he is imagening something that is not there
* the somatic worker is searching the here and now
he is sensing and experiencing the body and its movement
* the academic is searching the past
he is RE-flecting on signs and traces and data
the practice aspect:
* as an artist practice is the most boring part of the job,
as it is the repetition of a given form to get some "technique",
like practising a plie or a musical scale.
* for a somatic worker the practice is the architectural space,
where one-on-one sessions are happening in.
the power aspect:
seeing art as science is admiting that science has won the power race
about being the official instance that is allowed to explain life.
One could argue that science is colonising the arts with its langugage and thinking,
and the power and resources of its institutions.
science as art ?
revolution as research ?
sensing as truth ?
I am looking forward to feedback and discussion